Re: can Score.markFormatter be [globally] blanked, independent of other

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: can Score.markFormatter be [globally] blanked, independent of other RehearsalMark items?
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2016 06:32:08 -0400

Hi David and Harm,

Thanks for the replies.

On Aug 3, 2016, at 1:04 AM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:

> I think Harm's example was supposed to demonstrate that
> there is nothing basically wrong with the approach

Well at tleast that’s something I can take to heart as I try to teach myself
Scheme…

> so his example _intentionally_ does not differ

The two differences I immediately see between my function

(define-public (format-mark-null mark context)
  (make-null-markup))

and Harm’s function

#(define (format-mark-null mark context)
 (make-null-markup))

are the presence or absence of a leading # (which I did not originally add
because I was trying to copy exactly the related functions I found in
scm/translation-functions.scm), and the fact that mine is 'define-public' while
Harm’s is simply ‘define’; I figure(d) one of those must be the difference,
since Harm’s code works and mine doesn’t. Not immediately obvious from the
copied code, but explained in the OP, is the third difference: that I added my
function to a file in scm/translation-functions.scm (whereas Herm’s is
“inline”).

> So your problem must be in the many details you omit.  Non-ASCII
> characters, non-matching parens, spurious characters, whatever.

I will be interested to see what the culprit is.

Thanks,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info