Re: can Score.markFormatter be [globally] blanked, independent of other

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: can Score.markFormatter be [globally] blanked, independent of other RehearsalMark items?
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2016 13:07:57 +0200

> Hi David and Harm,
>
> Thanks for the replies.
>
> On Aug 3, 2016, at 1:04 AM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> I think Harm's example was supposed to demonstrate that
>> there is nothing basically wrong with the approach
>
> Well at tleast that’s something I can take to heart as I try to teach
> myself Scheme…
>
>> so his example _intentionally_ does not differ
>
> The two differences I immediately see between my function
>
> (define-public (format-mark-null mark context)
>   (make-null-markup))
>
> and Harm’s function
>
> #(define (format-mark-null mark context)
>  (make-null-markup))
>
> are the presence or absence of a leading # (which I did not originally
> add because I was trying to copy exactly the related functions I found
> in scm/translation-functions.scm), and the fact that mine is
> 'define-public' while Harm’s is simply ‘define’; I figure(d) one of
> those must be the difference, since Harm’s code works and mine
> doesn’t. Not immediately obvious from the copied code, but explained
> in the OP, is the third difference: that I added my function to a file
> in scm/translation-functions.scm (whereas Herm’s is “inline”).

All of the differences you notice merely compensate for Harm's solution
being in the LilyPond file and yours being in
scm/translation-functions.scm .

>> So your problem must be in the many details you omit.  Non-ASCII
>> characters, non-matching parens, spurious characters, whatever.
>
> I will be interested to see what the culprit is.

As mentioned before, the information you provided the list with so far
is unrelated to any problem you might have been seeing, so without
providing the kind of information I have spelled out previously, your
curiosity will not see satisfaction.

--
David Kastrup