Re: LilyPond logo?

From: Andrew Bernard
Subject: Re: LilyPond logo?
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2016 06:27:55 -0700

Hello Simon, and Lilyponders,

I agree with you Simon.

Now, I don’t want to be seen as a curmudgeon, but I just knew this would spin out into this sort of thing at the very start.

As a person with a lot of experience in graphic design myself, I am sorry to say that this whole business is regrettable. The problem with modern computing is that suddenly everybody is a designer, everybody is a typographer, everybody is a publisher, and the list goes on, because we now all have the tools to do this sort of work. But what is usually lacking is professional insight and vast experience. Making a logo by committee is, as I pointed out in my early post, hugely time consuning and expensive of people’s resources, and ends up universally in the lowest common denominator product.

I still do not see why the web graphic waterlily has suddenly been assumed to be the lilypond ‘logo’. I still do not see the need for a ‘logo’ for scores. What publishing house puts logos at the bottom of pages? For a start it is pure noise - the less noise musicians have to deal with the better. Since lilypond is not a publishing house, you don’t need a logo for covers (such as Henle etc).

I do not want to be coerced into using an amateur designed graphic in my scores or work as part of my use of lilypond. Lilypond is fine without a logo. A textual acknowlegement is surely adequate.

But if people have decided they must have one, then as Simon rightly suggests, get a professional, experienced logo designer to do one, someone with long practice in visual communications. But this seems to go against the open source nature of the project.

One could always say that I am free to not use a logo, but this argument, which will certainly be raised, is not valid in my opinion.

I also note that there does not seem to be consistency as to whether lilypond is ‘Lilypond’ or ‘LilyPond’ or ‘Lily Pond’ or ‘lilypond’. That at least needs to be straightened out.

Logos are for branding and marketing. Why do we need one?

Andrew