Re: LilyPond logo?

From: Pierre-Luc Gauthier
Subject: Re: LilyPond logo?
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2016 11:09:56 -0400

Hi Andrew,

> I still do not see why the web graphic waterlily has suddenly been assumed
> to be the lilypond ‘logo’.

To my knowledge it is the only graphic representation of the LilyPond project.
I think it sort of made its way as the official unofficial logo.

> One could always say that I am free to not use a logo, but this argument,
> which will certainly be raised, is not valid in my opinion.

Could you elaborate?

> Logos are for branding and marketing. Why do we need one?

Without falling into proselytism, I think the LilyPond project needs
more visibility.
And this logo would one of other tools for those who *want* to make
this project more visible.
Finale and Sibelius (to name what most musicians I talk to reference
as "the only two 'professional' alternatives") all are pretty
obnoxious and intrusive in their marketing and promotion strategies
and even them do have that default "tag line".
I happen to think there should be no *default* LilyPond tag line.

But, I chose to make it really clear and as un-intrusive as possible
that all my engravings were made using LilyPond.
I do want people to know that there is free/libre software capable of
beautiful professional score engraving.

For example, this [1] is the tagline I use.
It would not fit in "professional" prints but that is not what I do.
There is so much editing from day to day that I need this "noise" as
you said and I found this explicit version numbering and software
identification to be a load off my mind and an aid for people working
within the project.
As a bonus, if I could, I would use a simple, elegant, logo
representing the software.

So my question to you is :
Provided some logo is agreed upon,
What would be the problem making an elegant and professional logo
available for those who find a need for one ?

--
Pierre-Luc Gauthier