Re: LilyPond logo?

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: LilyPond logo?
Date: Sat, 6 Aug 2016 09:25:16 -0700

Why the emphasis on water flowers in the logo?  The important part
of LilyPond is the beautifully-engraved sheet music, not botany.

I think it would be a nicer approach to having something
recognizably "sheet music" in the logo.  For example, simply "Lp",
with the "p" being in the normal dynamic font, and the "L" being
some kind of fancy cursive thing.  That way, musicians would
instantly recognize the logo as having to do with sheet music.

On a related note, I highly recommend potrace, which does a
beautiful job of changing bitmaps into vector graphics.  To my
untrained eye, the output looks to be professionally drawn (due to
the gradual changes in line width):
http://potrace.sourceforge.net/samples.html

I also think it would be interesting to play with lilypond's text
markup commands.  There's a lot of neat things that can be done
with alignment, rotation, and the graphical text markup -- and
again, if the logo is comprised of elements of musical notation,
it will be much more recognizable as a logo for something to do
with sheet music.

Cheers,
- Graham Percival