Re: Forcing a DynamicText to appear inside the staff

From: Thomas Weber
Subject: Re: Forcing a DynamicText to appear inside the staff
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2016 08:22:40 +0200

Am 10.08.2016 um 23:44 schrieb Simon Albrecht:

> Am 10.08.2016 um 19:13 schrieb Thomas Weber:
>
> > in old orchestral scores one can observe that engravers did not hesitate to
> > make more room in dense situations by moving dynamics into the staff rather
> > than putting them below (or above).
>

> I mostly work on choral scores, where the problem might even be more imminent
> due to the lyrics. And I very much think allowing dynamics to overlap with
> the staff is a good idea, so I’ve been facing this a lot and made many essays
> at writing a music function that is easy to use (easy to understand and easy
> to type), versatile, and well maintainable. Unfortunately I haven’t found a
> satisfactory solution yet, and I can’t delve into the subject more right now.
> So I’m sorry to provide no more help at the moment except for this issue
> tracker link: <https://sourceforge.net/p/testlilyissues/issues/4316/>. Some
> of the problems encountered are mentioned there.

What kind of essays are you talking about (anything other than the issue you
linked to)?

I think a scheme function would be useful that determines how much it needs to
offset the dynamic to the left in order to move it into the staff.  Optionally
it might also determine by itself by how much it should move it into the staff.
 Ideally, it would detect whether there is a tight vertical spacing situation
that could be mitigated by moving the dynamic, but that might be beyond what
Scheme can do.  I think Urs posted something related on the dev list or
somewhere else some months ago, but I can't find it right now.

Thomas