Re: rehearsal marks: separate from content encoding and display above st

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: rehearsal marks: separate from content encoding and display above strings
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2016 09:39:39 -0500

On Mon 15 Aug 2016 at 09:18:57 (+0200), Johan Vromans wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Aug 2016 21:45:51 -0500
> David Wright <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > This is true, they are not. In fact, I don't quite understand what
> > you mean by "applying" \global "to the music parts". All the Voices
> > are just Voices, aren't they?
> >
> > Anyway, the repeat structure has to be in all the parts
> > as summarised by David K in
> > http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2016-07/msg00427.html
> >
> > > Specifying the structure of a score in \global is wonderful, it just
> > > doesn't work with midi.
> >
> > Which suggests that you haven't copied repeats into all the parts.
> > But what "doesn't work" for you exactly? (We need to be told before
> > we can start looking at a problem.)
>
> First of all, it isn't as much a problem (as in 'bug') but —for me, at
> least— a 'nice to have'.

I'm sorry, but your wishlist has nothing to do with the statement
"Specifying the structure of a score in \global is wonderful, it just
doesn't work with midi."

If you're going to make a statement like that, and be challenged,
please supply some evidence or withdraw the remark.

It's not as if this is the first time you've said that writing
repeats in LP doesn't work in the MIDI output:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2016-02/msg00284.html

Sorry to be blunt, but saying something doesn't work and then
providing no evidence is asking volunteers to expend time and energy
looking into what could be just a wild-goose chase.

And please don't muddy the waters by trying to turn your wishlist
into reports of a LP failure.

> I find it very confusing that (see example t1) the repeats from
> \global are *shown* in all staffs, but not effective in the midi.
> The fact that they are shown gives the impression that they are effective,
> as in example t2.

If that is the case, perhaps you could suggest patches for §3.5.6
in NM, "Using repeats with MIDI". Perhaps
   "When using multiple voices, each of the voices must contain
    completely unfolded repeats for correct MIDI output."
is too bald. It could be mentioned that no voice can impose a
repeat structure on any other.

Cheers,
David.