Re: rehearsal marks: separate from content encoding and display above st

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: rehearsal marks: separate from content encoding and display above strings
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2016 18:02:20 +0200

Johan Vromans <address@hidden> writes:

> On Mon, 15 Aug 2016 09:39:39 -0500
> David Wright <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> I'm sorry, but your wishlist has nothing to do with the statement
>> "Specifying the structure of a score in \global is wonderful, it just
>> doesn't work with midi."
>
> There is something called the principle of least surprise. I can put bars,
> rehearsal marks, time signatures, repeats in \global and they all end up
> nicely in all staves of the printed output.

Bars, rehearsal marks, time signatures are all isolated events.  A
repeat _structures_ its governed material.  How could you expect to
transfer a _structure_ to flat music?

How would you expect to have the following R1*9 be expanded into R1*13 ?

\score {
  \compressMMRests
  \new StaffGroup
  << \new Staff
     \repeat volta 3 { R1*2 }
     \alternative { { d'1 e'1 } { R1*2 } { R1*3 } }
     \new Staff R1*9

}
> Then it surprises me that they do not all end up nicely in the midi — in
> particular, the repeats do not.

There is no typeset material repeated in the typesetting either.  All
you have is consistent bars.  If the bars were to make it into the Midi,
they would likely be consistent as well.

> So my first thought is "something doesn't work". That there is a good
> explanation [thanks, David K] why it doesn't/cannot work as I would
> have expected it doesn't change the surprise.

The surprise is rather that repeat bars bleed into parts missing the
specification of repeats in the PDF.

This seems to give false expectations.  Maybe we should flag a warning
or error instead.

--
David Kastrup