Re: Compiling against guile-2.*

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Compiling against guile-2.*
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2016 11:28:46 +0200

"N. Andrew Walsh" <address@hidden> writes:

> On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 7:10 AM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Jacques Menu Muzhic <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>> > Hello Andrew,
>> >
>> > Guile 2.x features semantic changes (in memory management IIRC) that
>> > prevent LP from being able to use it, DK will tell you more.
>>

> This  is unfortunate, as my installed versions of autogen depends on
> guile-2.*, and the gentoo devs say slotting guile (ie, allowing both
> versions to coexist on the system) doesn't seem to work. So I may be stuck
> at this version of Lily until it gets sorted. (or may not have it at all if
> Lily has to use guile to compile my .ly files).
>
> Here's hoping the Lily devs are plugging away!

In a nutshell, they aren't.  Once Guile 2.0.12 becomes available in
Ubuntu _or_ works reasonably well non-installed, there may be some more
attempt to get this to work, until the next Guile flaws not sanely
addressable in LilyPond are discovered and one has to wait for the next
Guile release.  Guile takes about 1-2 years for a 2.0.x release these
days, and Ubuntu takes 1/4 to 3/4 years to pick up a new release.

I guess that there will likely be still 2-3 such iterations, so it's
more likely that the game will get restarted on Guile-2.2 at some point
before it plays out on Guile-2.0.

--
David Kastrup