Re: Keep alive together - call for use cases

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Keep alive together - call for use cases
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2016 15:10:40 +0200

Malte Meyn <address@hidden> writes:

> Am 18.08.2016 um 14:16 schrieb Mark Knoop:
>> Could you both take a look at this and see (a) if it helps, and (b)
>> what else needs to be achieved.
>
> I didn’t read the whole thread but how to deal with different clefs?
> For example, in a choir a tenor is notated with \clef "treble_8" but a
> tenor/bass combined staff with \clef "bass". This case isn’t a problem
> because lilypond uses the clef of the bass voice (two \clef events at
> the same time, second one is used). But maybe there are cases where
> you would want have the clef of the upper voice (f. e. horns in
> octaves, one in treble, one in bass clef, combined in treble clef with
> ledger lines for the lower horn)?

So?  The whole point of the layers is that you (more or less fully)
prepare both a split and a combined version and LilyPond then picks the
right layer.  Split and combined layer don't need to have the same
source and/or overrides: you can use an alto clef for the combined
version and violin/bass clefs for the split version if you want to.

Of course you will _largely_ want to share the same source, and tags,
variables, and parallel music expressions will help with that.

--
David Kastrup