Re: Tempo Indication

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Tempo Indication
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2016 17:34:59 +0200

[Sort of already wrote that in private communication, sorry for the
duplication]

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> "Mark Stephen Mrotek" <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Hello,
>>

>> Admittedly my inquiry is not directly related to the use of Lilypond. Yet
>> the members of this list are the most knowledgeable to answer.
>>

>> A Beethoven piano variation has the tempo marking "alla Austriaca."
>>

>> Would someone please explain?
>
> While I don't really have a clue, it seems to be like a pun on Mozarts
> "alla Turca" movement to me.  In particular since "Austria" is short for
> Marchia Austriaca (Eastern border region).
>
> Of course, it can just literally be "in Eastern style" without second
> thoughts.  Then you just need to know how far East.

Small correction: "Austriaca" may have meant "Eastern" in Latin, but the
sole meaning surviving into Italian is indeed "Austrian".

So it's either a jab at Mozart (would the time frame fit as well as the
contemporary notoriety of "alla Turca" as a single movement of
KV331(300i)?), or at Austria/Hungary's military music.  Either way, I
expect a March.

--
David Kastrup