Re: Why doesn't h-shift work in monophonic textures?

From: tisimst
Subject: Re: Why doesn't h-shift work in monophonic textures?
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2016 21:07:18 -0700 (MST)

On Thursday, August 18, 2016, Urs Liska [via Lilypond] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Am 18.08.2016 um 18:14 schrieb tisimst:
Josh,

On Thu, Aug 18, 2016 at 9:51 AM, Joshua Nichols [via Lilypond] <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm trying to shift a note one place to either direction using the following:

\once \override NoteColumn.force-hshift = #1

In monophonic texures. However, It doesn't work/compile.

Why is this so? What is the solution?

forceHShift = { \once \override NoteColumn.force-hshift = #40 }

\relative c' {
  c d e \forceHShift f g f e d c
}

Try:

\once \override NoteColumn.X-offset = #1

This was the solution, the "why" is that the "shift" in force-hshift refers to shifting the note column in relation to other voices.

Urs

You are absolutely correct, Urs.  I realized that I hadn't answered the "why" until moments before your message came through. So, thanks for completing the task!

Best,
Abraham