Re: Chord names in a score

From: Andy Deitrich
Subject: Re: Chord names in a score
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2016 16:32:18 -0500

I'm sorry! OK, context is a staff I had to define in the mandolin part so that I could arrange the chord names above the staff:

mandoMusic =
\relative c'
\new Staff = "mando"
\key c \major
\clef "treble"
\set Score.markFormatter = #format-mark-box-alphabet
\compressFullBarRests
\override MultiMeasureRest #'expand-limit = #3
\override Glissando #'thickness = #2
\override Glissando #'minimum-length = #3
\override Glissando #'springs-and-rods =
                          #ly:spanner::set-spacing-rods
\override Score.MetronomeMark.outside-staff-priority = #1600
\tempo 4.=126
\time 6/8
R2.*4
\bar "||"
% REHEARSAL A (bar 5)
\mark \default
R2.*26
\bar "||"
% REHEARSAL B (bar 31)
\mark \default
\set Score.currentBarNumber = #31
\override NoteHead #'style = #'slash
\repeat percent 6 {
<<
\chords \with { alignAboveContext = mando }
    {s4 c8 s4.}
{r4\mp b'8 r4 b8}
>> }

That looks like this:
Inline image 1

Here's the score code:

\score {
\new StaffGroup <<
               \new Staff {
\override Staff.InstrumentName.self-alignment-X = #RIGHT
\set Staff.instrumentName = \markup \right-column {
"mandolin"
}
\set Staff.shortInstrumentName = #"man"
\mandoMusic
}
\new Staff {
\override Staff.InstrumentName.self-alignment-X = #RIGHT
\set Staff.instrumentName = \markup \right-column {
"guitar"
}
\set Staff.shortInstrumentName = #"gtr"
\guitarMusic
}

Inline image 2

It put the mandolin chords on a new, 3rd staff.  It probably has something to do with defining "mando" as a staff. I don't know how else to get the mandolin chords to appear above the staff.

Does this help explain?