Re: Hiding a staff with notes in it

From: Evan O'Dorney
Subject: Re: Hiding a staff with notes in it
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2016 20:08:32 -0700

Works great! I assume that one must manually change the name of the upper staff from "S" to "S1" enough measures in advance to show up correctly.

Evan

On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 9:07 PM, Evan O'Dorney <address@hidden> wrote:

Wow! I'll have to try it out.

Evan

On Aug 17, 2016 6:37 PM, "Vaughan McAlley" <address@hidden> wrote:
On 18 August 2016 at 09:42, Evan O'Dorney <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Is there a way to allow Lilypond to hide a staff on certain systems, similar
> to \RemoveEmptyStaffContext, but applicable to certain non-empty staves? My
> situation is that I have a choral piece where the 1st and 2nd sopranos
> divide, and I would like to see two staves of identical material leading up
> to the point on the system where the division happens. (The parts are
> dissimilar enough to preclude notating the divisi on one staff.) For
> example:
>
> <<
>   \new Staff = "s1" {
>     \relative g' {
>       \repeat unfold 30 { g2 } a1
>     }
>   }
>   \new Staff = "s2" {
>     \relative g' {
>       % The second staff may be hidden
>       \repeat unfold 30 { g2 }
>       % The second staff must be shown
>       f1
>     }
>   }
>>>

> Thanks,
> Evan

This is what I use:

\version "2.18.2"

hideMusic = { \set Staff.keepAliveInterfaces = #'() }
showMusic =   \unset Staff.keepAliveInterfaces

\score {
   <<
      \new Staff = "s1" {
         \relative g' {
            \repeat unfold 30 { g2 } a1
      \new Staff = "s2" {
         \relative g' {
            % The second staff may be hidden
            \hideMusic
            \repeat unfold 30 { g2 }
            % The second staff must be shown
            \showMusic
            f1

   \layout {
      \context {
         \Staff
         \RemoveEmptyStaves
         % Remove the first staff
         \override VerticalAxisGroup.remove-first = ##t

Vaughan