Re: Potential improvements to the homepage?

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Potential improvements to the homepage?
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2016 10:55:46 -0400

Hi all,

>> Uh, how does "dated appearance" (acl of animated content and flashiness,
>> color schemes of last season?) equate to "not very reassuring welcome"?
>
> Because the Web site looks like it has been left to decay since the time
> when that design style was current, viewers are inclined to think the
> software may be in a similar condition.

+1
That’s definitely one reason — maybe the main one — but there are many others,
of course.

Independent of the precise design choices (e.g., colours, icons, etc.), the
website also potentially gives a “not very reassuring welcome” due to the fact
that it is only nominally responsive. (n.b. To see this claim in action, put
the URL in at <http://mattkersley.com/responsive/>.) Navigating the site on a
mobile phone or tablet — the users of which represent a significant portion of
web traffic nowadays — is a frustrating experience (at least in my experience).

Best regards,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info