Re: that acciaccatura issue

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: that acciaccatura issue
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2016 00:04:38 +0200

On 21.08.2016 23:53, Mark Stephen Mrotek wrote:
The time and knowledge that you spent on my inquiry indicates a real, and
appreciated, desire to assist.
Several times in the past I have sought aid from this list. Every "trouble" was
quickly and clearly resolved.
Never have I experienced such a kerfuffle as the present.

I’m sorry we have been so insisting on this point. The reasons are about the following: Those answering user questions on the list are, as you know, volunteers who invest their free time. Thus it is good practice to show them courtesy by providing minimal examples, so they don’t have to narrow them down themselves. Sometimes, the cause of a problem may be very subtle and if you have to isolate it from 50 lines of unusually formatted code, that’s much more tedious than looking at 10 clean lines of code, where the problem is easily spotted. Second: I know that creating a minimal example can be very tedious and sometimes drives you nuts, if you start from a big project with 20 included files in 10 different directories, thousands of lines of code… but one learns a lot by doing so, and often the problem becomes obvious, so you don’t even have to ask on the list. In other words, if we insist on minimal examples, we also try to help you in helping yourself. That it may seem off-putting is hard to avoid, unfortunately…

Best, Simon