Re: Potential improvements to the homepage?

From: Andrew Yoon
Subject: Re: Potential improvements to the homepage?
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2016 01:42:48 -0400

There are certainly many options to explore, many of them quite simple. At any rate, over the next few days I'll take a crack at something and see what people think. Should future discussions about this belong in the dev mailing list? Apologies if this is the wrong place...

On Mon, Aug 22, 2016 at 1:31 AM, Abraham Lee <address@hidden> wrote:

On Sunday, August 21, 2016, Urs Liska <address@hidden> wrote:

Am 21. August 2016 20:58:57 MESZ, schrieb Abraham Lee <address@hidden>:
>On Sunday, August 21, 2016, Andrew Yoon <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> My thoughts exactly. I don't think any drastic change would be called
>for,
>> I suspect virtually everything that would be productive could be
>handled
>> purely in CSS. Maybe something more in line with the design of
>> http://lilypondblog.org/ ? But then again, I'm no designer.
>>

>it's more than CSS. lilypondblog.org uses the Wordpress framework.

But that's not too related to the appearance.

I think it would be possible to refresh the design of the website with mostly CSS (except for the discussion that using current techniques is viewed quite critically here, some prefer *tested* technology that displays well on all sorts of rendering engines).

But one has to be aware that current design trends tend to place *much* less text in much more generously spaced boxes. And this is something which seems to require substantial rewriting of the *contents* as well. Which looks challenging to me ...

True, Urs. I didn't mean to imply that a similar look couldn't be accomplished outside of Wordpress. I only meant to bring up that this is how lilypondblog.org does it. Creating a similar look with CSS alone will just take some work.

- Abraham