Re: Potential improvements to the homepage?

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: Re: Potential improvements to the homepage?
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2016 16:18:35 +0200

Il giorno dom 21 ago 2016 alle 11:19, Andrew Yoon <address@hidden> ha scritto:
I'm wondering if there might be room to discuss some improvements to the lilypond.org homepage -- in my personal experience in the past its typical GNU-style dated appearance was a little off-putting, and I suspect for many other composers and musicians who are a little more timid around technology it doesn't give a very reassuring welcome. I don't know if anything like this is in the works already, but is there room for discussing this? I'd be more than happy to help. Nothing dramatic or web3.0 style of course.

I have the feeling that it would be easier to rewrite it from scratch (both text and style) and with another tool, but this is not a "popular" position.

Since this is a frequent discussion that returns every few months, I wonder if there's anybody in this list willing to work together to improve the website. I'd also be interested to know if there's someone who'd like to help but it's blocked by something he/she feels wrong/uneasy.

On a related note, I think it might be really fantastic if we could figure out a way to set up a REPL on the website somewhere where newcomers can give Lilypond a guided try in their browser before committing to the sometimes-arduous process of installing and getting it running locally. See for example the Haskell homepage https://www.haskell.org/ or the http://tryruby.org website.

This was discussed some time ago: