Re: Potential improvements to the homepage?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Potential improvements to the homepage?
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2016 20:14:42 +0200

Karlin High <address@hidden> writes:

> On 8/23/2016 11:20 AM, David Kastrup wrote:
>> Jacques Menu Muzhic <address@hidden> writes:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Would a CMS like WordPress be a good candidate for a complete rewrite?
>> At the current point of time, the Texinfo generated output includes
>> Info (without translations or images, still good for proofreading the
>> primary pages), PDF (better than printing the HTML pages), and is
>> included in the translation process for the manuals.  [...]
>>
>> And the manuals are going to remain in Texinfo anyway, so it's not
>> like we could get rid of texi2html and its ilk.
>
> That sounds like the LilyPond website already has a Content Management
> System of sorts, and its name is Texinfo.

Well, it's not all that much of content management as it is formatting
it.  A lot of the actual content management is at least semi-manually.
What it (or rather our scripts) does manage is the inclusion of LilyPond
graphics written into the text.

> Would there be any chance of leaving that "as is", and use some
> Perl-like text processor to automatically add the updated HTML and CSS
> code? ("This file with web code - insert it into index.html at text
> matching X.") Or maybe that is just the sort of "drive-by work" you
> wished to avoid. :)

I think Texinfo has some manners of including such content, and I
believe the CSS to more or less bypass the Texinfo processing
altogether.  So it really would depend just on what kind of content one
would be thinking about for figuring out just how awkward the inclusion
and subsequent content management would end up.

--
David Kastrup