Re: reverting to default

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: reverting to default
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2016 20:08:03 +0200

"Mark Stephen Mrotek" <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup [mailto:address@hidden  wrote:
>>
>> "Mark Stephen Mrotek" <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> After using
>>>
>>> \override TrillSpanner #'bound-details #'left #'text = #'()
>>>
>>> what command makes the next trill spanner include the "tr?"
>>
>> \revert Trillspanner #'(bound-details left text)
>>
>> But seriously, what version of LilyPond are you using so that you are still
>> using that awkward syntax rather than
>>
>> \override Trillspanner.bound-details.left.text = #'()
>>
>> and the corresponding
>>
>> \revert Trillspanner.bound-details.left.text
>
> David,
>
> Thank you for your response.
>
> I am using, as the web site says, the latest stable release, 2.18.2.

This supports dotted path syntax.

> Also, the line of code was retrieved not from the manual yet from a search
> of
> http://www.mail-archive.com/address@hidden/.

It may help pulling old examples through convert-ly with appropriate
settings.

> Changes in syntax can be confusing to me. Consider entering fourth
> year French to discover that the syntax of third year had been changed

It happens (we had spelling reforms in Germany, for example).

>> ?  Because it's not just the syntax that's awkward in older versions, it's
>> also that reverts of subproperties is quite unreliable and may affect
>> unrelated subproperties.

Unfortunately, the fix for that occured in 2.19.13 (issue 3072).  We
should probably release 2.20 some time this year.  So many changes...

--
David Kastrup