Re: Potential improvements to the homepage?

From: David Pirotte
Subject: Re: Potential improvements to the homepage?
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2016 22:44:54 -0300

Hi Federico,

> Il giorno mer 24 ago 2016 alle 0:00, David Pirotte <address@hidden> ha
> scritto:

> > The first thing, imo, would be to have these pages rewritten in
> > scheme, Guile scheme
> > I mean of course :), with the portion of the code that holds the
> > content being
> > expressed using sxml, see below for examples.

> ... or rather strings in a scheme file? Here's a scary example:
> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix/guix-artwork.git/tree/website/www/about.scm

From someone how can fluently read lily source code, scary? :) All lilypond
users
know a bit of scheme right? :)

Don't be! You'll get use to it a lot faster then you think! It actually reads
almost
as if it was English [and *nod* a lot easier then the corresponding html page],
here
is a simplified example. The schema is the same for all pages:

  import
        utils
        shared

  define the page

  `(html (@ (lang "en"))
         ,(html-page-header "About")    ;; defined in shared
         (body
          ,(html-page-description)              ;; dito
          ,(html-page-links)                            ;; dito
        <the page content comes here>
        ,(html-page-footer)))                   ;; dito

The page content can be as simple as

          (div (@ (id "content-box"))
               (article
                (h1 "About the Project")
                (p "Lylipond is ...")))

The complexity of the content of a page is not due to sxml, but the the
complexity of
page itself, to the complexity of its design and how much css tweaks you're
using.

The hard work is in the design, the translation to guile scheme is relatively
easy:
one of the lily maintainers should ask Luis if he'd be interested: and he is a
schemer to, he did the design for Guile's web-pages _and_ wrote the source code
as
well ...

David