Re: Advice on building flash drive for Spanish speaker

From: Karlin High
Subject: Re: Advice on building flash drive for Spanish speaker
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2016 19:01:58 +0000

On 8/24/2016 1:03 PM, Ralph Palmer wrote:
> Greetings -
>
> I'm trying to build a flash drive for a Spanish speaker. I'd like to
> include the stable Spanish versions of LilyPond (probably 2.18.2) and
> Frescobaldi. The friend lives in Cuba, so I'll probably not be able to
> use the 64-bit version. They are running Windows 7.
>
> I would appreciate any help in 1) deciding what files from the
> LilyPond and Frescobaldi sites I should include, and 2) the best way
> to put them on the flash drive (e.g., direct copy, rather than save
> and move).
>
> Thanks in advance for your help,
>
> Ralph

Recently, I had a similar request. Someone without Internet access
wanted more LilyPond documentation, the Snippet Repository in
particular. I ended up sending them a CD that included the LilyPond
2.18.2 Doc tarball:

http://lilypond.org/all.html
http://lilypond.org/downloads/binaries/documentation/lilypond-2.18.2-1.documentation.tar.bz2

Near as I can tell, that includes all available LilyPond documentation
and translations.

I also included LilyPond 2.18.2:
http://download.linuxaudio.org/lilypond/binaries/mingw/lilypond-2.18.2-1.mingw.exe

And Frescobaldi 2.19.0:
https://github.com/wbsoft/frescobaldi/releases/download/v2.19.0/Frescobaldi.Setup.2.19.0.exe

Apparently translations are included in those setup files. Frescobaldi's
Edit -> Preferences menu allows setting the language, if its usual
"System Default Langauge" option doesn't pick it up properly from
Windows. So far, I haven't seen anything for these programs that says
32-bit versus 64-bit makes a difference under Windows.

As for getting the files onto the flash drive, I don't think it matters
how you do it. But I would recommend plugging the drive into a different
computer, to make sure the files ARE actually on it before it gets shipped.
--
Karlin High
Missouri, USA