Re: question about minor + fourth

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: question about minor + fourth
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2016 01:47:50 +0200

> Thanks for the code you sent me in private Jacques, it's full of useful
> examples but I still can't make this particular chord work.
>
> I want to display a minor chord with a fourth like this: "Am (add4)". That's
> all I want to do.
> First I'm surprised that I have to specify the chord (in the variable
> chExceptionMusic) in a note to note format (in this case <a c e d>). Is it
> not possible to specify it in a chord name format ?

You would need to do it in \chordmode but there the "-"-sign has a
different meaning, not to mention that TextScript is not allowed in
ChordNames for this (and probably other) reason(s).

> And second how should I write my chord (A minor with a fourth) in the
> chordMode format ?
> a:m.4 doesn't work and a:m4 does'nt display the chord correctly.

How about:

%% define the new behaviour
chExceptionMusic = {
  <a' c'' d'' e''>1-\markup { m (add 4) }
}

%% add it to other exceptional settings
chExceptions = #(append
                  (sequential-music-to-chord-exceptions chExceptionMusic #t)
                  ignatzekExceptions)

m = {
    <a' c'' d'' e''>1
    \chordmode {
      a:1.3-.4.5
      a:m4.5

<<
  \new ChordNames
    %% use the new namings in thos context
    \with { chordNameExceptions = #chExceptions }
    \m
  \new Staff \m

HTH,
  Harm