Re: question about minor + fourth

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: question about minor + fourth
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2016 22:34:29 +0200

Thomas Morley <address@hidden> writes:

>>> Well, I used some "newer" features like `extract-typed-music' to
>>> rewrite the code from chord-name.scm, keeping all the original's
>>> functionality.
>>> But why is this functionality there at all?
>>
>> Which functionality?
>>
>>> In other words: I can't imagine a use-case where it matters.
>>
>> Where what matters?  What exactly in the code and/or the arguments it
>> interprets seems strange or (currently?) unused to you?
>
> Sorry, not being exact enough.

Well, at least not for getting additional input where one could work out
the problem in a manner where you feel confident about what to do.  And
that seems like the most likely course leading to changes.  At the
current point of time, I can pretty much follow what the code does but
without much of a clue how that fits into what needs to be done (or
might need to be done).  So if you have a problem with what the code
does, I'm pretty sure I can fill in any blanks as long as I know what
the blanks are.  But with regard to what we would _want_ it to do, I'd
need quite a bit more work.

And if it is I who invests that work, this is likely to end up in a bit
of "not invented here" syndrome where I form an opinion what to do that
is not particularly compatible with anybody else's.

>> Particularly if we want to replace this interface with a scheme function
>> (in LilyPond syntax) we need to figure out which parts of it are not
>> likely to see use anyway.
>

> Agreed.
>
> I'll do some more research and try to clear my thoughts, before coming
> back to this topic.

That would be great.

--
David Kastrup