Horizontal positioning of rests

From: Karen Billings
Subject: Horizontal positioning of rests
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2016 20:49:04 +0000 (UTC)

Hi all,

Sorry to bother you with a beginner's problem... I have been using Lilypond for about a year now, and all that time I have had problems with rest positioning. I've been dealing with it, but it's becoming more of a problem now that trying to read multi-line scores...

The documentation states that rests are, by default, always centered horizontally.  For some reason, mine always end up left-justified.  What am I doing wrong and how can I correct it?

I've attached a picture of the problem, along with my .ly file (version 2.18.2).

Many thanks!

Karen

Inline image