Re: Horizontal positioning of rests

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Horizontal positioning of rests
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2016 22:59:57 +0200

Karen Billings <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi all,
> Sorry to bother you with a beginner's problem... I have been using
> Lilypond for about a year now, and all that time I have had problems
> with rest positioning. I've been dealing with it, but it's becoming
> more of a problem now that trying to read multi-line scores...
> The documentation states that rests are, by default, always centered
> horizontally.

Where does it state that?  I don't see anything like that in
<http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/writing-rests#rests>.
Instead it states

    Whole measure rests, centered in the middle of the measure, must be
    entered as multi-measure rests.  They can be used for a single
    measure as well as many measures and are discussed in *note Full
    measure rests::.

And the link given there explains how to enter such rests.

So where in the documentation does it state that rests are, by default,
_always_ centered horizontally (and if so, in what space are they
purportedly centered)?

--
David Kastrup