Re: v2.19.47 on Mac x86

From: Jacques Menu Muzhic
Subject: Re: v2.19.47 on Mac x86
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2016 09:13:58 +0200

Hello Andrew,

I found information at :

https://8thlight.com/blog/colin-jones/2015/11/06/dtrace-even-better-than-strace-for-osx.html

The dtruce and dtrace options lists are shown below. They require sudo right.

JM

--

menu@macbookprojm:~ > dtruss
USAGE: dtruss [-acdefholLs] [-t syscall] { -p PID | -n name | command }

          -p PID          # examine this PID
          -n name         # examine this process name
          -t syscall      # examine this syscall only
          -a              # print all details
          -c              # print syscall counts
          -d              # print relative times (us)
          -e              # print elapsed times (us)
          -f              # follow children
          -l              # force printing pid/lwpid
          -o              # print on cpu times
          -s              # print stack backtraces
          -L              # don't print pid/lwpid
          -b bufsize      # dynamic variable buf size
   eg,
       dtruss df -h       # run and examine "df -h"
       dtruss -p 1871     # examine PID 1871
       dtruss -n tar      # examine all processes called "tar"
       dtruss -f test.sh  # run test.sh and follow children
menu@macbookprojm:~ > dtrace

Usage: dtrace [-aACeFHlqSvVwZ] [-arch i386|x86_64] [-b bufsz] [-c cmd] [-D name[=def]]
[-I path] [-L path] [-o output] [-p pid] [-s script] [-U name]
[-x opt[=val]]

[-P provider [[ predicate ] action ]]
[-m [ provider: ] module [[ predicate ] action ]]
[-f [[ provider: ] module: ] func [[ predicate ] action ]]
[-n [[[ provider: ] module: ] func: ] name [[ predicate ] action ]]
[-i probe-id [[ predicate ] action ]] [ args ... ]

predicate -> '/' D-_expression_ '/'
  action -> '{' D-statements '}'

-arch Generate programs and Mach-O files for the specified architecture

-a  claim anonymous tracing state
-A  generate plist(5) entries for anonymous tracing
-b  set trace buffer size
-c  run specified command and exit upon its completion
-C  run cpp(1) preprocessor on script files
-D  define symbol when invoking preprocessor
-e  exit after compiling request but prior to enabling probes
-f  enable or list probes matching the specified function name
-F  coalesce trace output by function
-h  generate a header file with definitions for static probes
-H  print included files when invoking preprocessor
-i  enable or list probes matching the specified probe id
-I  add include directory to preprocessor search path
-l  list probes matching specified criteria
-L  add library directory to library search path
-m  enable or list probes matching the specified module name
-n  enable or list probes matching the specified probe name
-o  set output file
-p  grab specified process-ID and cache its symbol tables
-P  enable or list probes matching the specified provider name
-q  set quiet mode (only output explicitly traced data)
-s  enable or list probes according to the specified D script
-S  print D compiler intermediate code
-U  undefine symbol when invoking preprocessor
-v  set verbose mode (report stability attributes, arguments)
-V  report DTrace API version
-w  permit destructive actions
-W  wait for specified process and exit upon its completion
-x  enable or modify compiler and tracing options
-Z  permit probe descriptions that match zero probes
menu@macbookprojm:~