Arrow hack

From: Vivian Barty-Taylor
Subject: Arrow hack
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2016 11:51:46 +0200

Dear list,
I have been using Lilypond for many years, and have written a scheme function to create a double ended arrow which I need for my notation (someone on this list helped me with this some years ago.)

The code looks like this:

arrow = #(define-music-function (parser location arg1) ( pair?)
(make-music
          'TextScriptEvent
          'text
          #{ \markup \line { \with-color #red \arrow-head #X #LEFT ##t \with-color #red \draw-line #arg1 \with-color #red \arrow-head #X #RIGHT ##t } #} ))

I would like to refine the code as the arrow ends don't connect properly with the central line. Could someone on this list help me?
I've used the symbol repeatedly in my music and one of the players in the ensemble which I'm writing for suggested this, so I'd like to do it if possible.

Thanks in advance,

Vivian.