Re: circle of fifths

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: circle of fifths
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2016 17:33:22 +0200

On 06.09.2016 16:59, Kieren MacMillan wrote:
Hi all,

P.S. I don’t think there should be anything _but_ the anglicised version in the
LSR. It’s a very bad idea to use German variable names in probably any
programming language.
Hmmm… Then should we change the default language of Lilypond (e.g., for note
names) to “english”?
<grabs popcorn>  ;)

I’m going to ignore that :-)

Joking aside: I hear and appreciate your point. But I would suggest that, all
other things (e.g., coding time) being equal, it might be better all around if
the LSR contained an *internationalized* version (e.g., with the variable names
as strings in some list that can be switched in/out). Then there wouldn’t be
“anglicised” versions or anything — just a language-independent version, with
string sets for whichever languages have been added by users.

I think this isn’t worth the effort. Indeed it’s a bit unfortunate that (as I see it) working more with (and on) LilyPond almost invariably also requires knowing English quite well, but I don’t see how that could be helped.
Personally I also started using German variable names, but:
1. The longer I was using LilyPond the more I resented the language mix in the source code, so that now I use English for everything except for that which appears in the output (and, indeed, for note names, where for me it really makes a difference in efficiency of reading and writing). 2. The German manuals being outdated, I quickly switched to the English ones, so I really only know the English terminology. 3. With all the source code and command names in both LilyPond and Scheme using English names, I think it only adds confusion as well as obstacles in sharing code. So I think we’d better be honest about the fact that it’s best to stick with English, and maybe bear in mind to not use too exclusive vocabulary in code.

Best, Simon