Re: Alternative bars in the middle of measure

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: Alternative bars in the middle of measure
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2016 14:24:01 -0500

On Tue 06 Sep 2016 at 20:29:46 (+0200), Pierre Perol-Schneider wrote:
> Or even:
>
> \version "2.18.2"
>
> altBracket = #(define-music-function (parser location tag) (string?)
>   #{ \set Score.repeatCommands = #(list (list 'volta (markup #:number
> tag))) #})
>
> altBracketEnd = { \set Score.repeatCommands = #'((volta #f)) }
>
> {
>   c'1
>   \once\override Score.VoltaBracket.shorten-pair = #'(0 . 1)
>   \altBracket "1."
>   c'
>   \altBracket "2."
>   c'
>   \altBracketEnd
> }

OK, that's an example I can run. But I don't see what the issue is
that that solves. Isn't that just a conventional repeat without
an opening : (quite usual) and without a closing :| (less so).

> > For the kind of music I mostly typeset, it is common to have alternative
> > bars or even alternative notes in the middle of a measure. At the moment I
> > handle this by setting score.repeatCommands like so:

It would be nice to see a screenshot of "this kind" of music.
I'm not sure the example that I posted is at all appropriate.

Cheers,
David.