Re: Trill with (automatic) accidentals

From: H. S. Teoh
Subject: Re: Trill with (automatic) accidentals
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2016 08:25:37 -0700

On Thu, Sep 08, 2016 at 12:12:36PM +0200, Urs Liska wrote:
> Is it true that adding an accidental to a trill like in the attached
> image can only be realized through markups?

As far as I can tell from the docs, yes. But I don't know if there is
some hidden option somewhere that allows it?

> Is there an existing solution that can be used like \pitchedTrill but
> without explicitly printing the alternative note and instead printing
> an accidental (if necessary according the the accidental style in
> place)?
>
> Using markup with hardcoded accidentals doesn't work properly with
> transpositions.
>
> If not I think one would write a music function that is given an
> interval. From and the fundamental pitch it would determine the need
> for a specific accidental and from there construct the necessary
> markup.

That would be great!

And while you're at it, maybe also add similar functionality to the
various ornaments like \prall, \mordent, etc.?  Recently I was
transcribing a Haydn sonata, and had to resort to lots of ugly markup
just to get the accidentals to print properly.

And of course the midi didn't work properly (even with \articulate), and
I had to explicitly spell out the notes with \tag #'midi {...} and
\removeWithTag #'midi for the printed score.  Not sure how much you can
do on the midi front, but at least it would simplify things if the
ornament itself can take accidentals. It's at least halfway there. :-)

> I don't need a working solution right now, just some feedback on the
> issue.
>
> I'm actually wondering why this doesn't seem to be possible
> out-of-the-box.
[...]

Yeah, I was also quite surprised to find out that there is apparently no
way to generate ornaments with accidentals without resorting to markup.
Given the classical roots of lilypond, I found this quite unexpected.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everybody else. -- despair.com