Re: polymetric music with mensuration lines

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: polymetric music with mensuration lines
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2016 21:35:32 +0200

Hi Pierre,

please read more carefully! That’s not what Knut asked: he wants to combine „Mensurstriche“ with polymetric notation.

Hi Knut,
I’m afraid this is not easy to achieve. The „Mensurstriche“ in LilyPond are technically SpanBars, and they can only be drawn between two bar lines on the adjacent staves, and MultiMeasureRests can’t cross barlines. Which incidentally also shows that Distler’s concept isn’t flawless… The easiest solution would be to choose a different way of notation and change defaultBarType:

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
\version "2.18"

{
  c'1
  c'
  \bar "|."
}

\layout {
  \context {
    \Score
    defaultBarType = "'"

Actually, if in a polymetric situation you have moved Default_bar_line_engraver to Staff level, defaultBarType needs to be defined there as well (I think).

Else you’d probably need a custom bar line printing procedure, which I’m sorry I have no time to do right now. But maybe someone else would like to chime in :-)

Best, Simon