Re: Access (order) overlapping markups in a system

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: Access (order) overlapping markups in a system
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2016 12:40:36 -0500

On Mon, Sep 12, 2016 at 10:24 AM, Urs Liska <address@hidden> wrote:

> Am 12.09.2016 um 17:04 schrieb David Nalesnik:
>> Hi Urs,
>>
>> On Mon, Sep 12, 2016 at 9:18 AM, Urs Liska <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> In this sample:
>>>
>>> \version "2.19.48"
>>>
>>> {
>>>   c2 ^\markup "First markup"
>>>   c2 ^\markup "Second markup"
>>>   c2 ^\markup "Third markup"
>>> }
>>>
>>> The markups are starting at the staff and when overlapping are printed
>>> above the preceding one.
>>>
>>> Is there a way to have this behaviour reversed so that  they are
>>> starting at the top and go to the bottom?
>>>
>>> I know how to achive the attached result with overriding
>>> outside-staff-priority, but is there an automatic way that works line by
>>> line? Or something that can be built with reasonable effort?
>>>
>> Try the following:
>>
>> \version "2.19"
>>
>> {
>>   \override Staff.VerticalAxisGroup.outside-staff-placement-directive
>> = #'right-to-left-greedy
>>   c2 ^\markup "First markup"
>>   c2 ^\markup "Second markup"
>>   c2 ^\markup "Third markup"
>> }
>>
>> Best,
>> David
>
> Thanks a lot, that seems exactly what I was looking for.
>
> Do you know if that has any unwanted side effects? I mean, this isn't
> limited to TextScript, isn't it?

One pitfall I see is that you will only have a single
VerticalAxisGroup per Staff per System, so you would one get one
setting per line.

Also, the VerticalAxisGroup would collect most of the grobs on the
line, so you're right that this would have an impact on objects other
than TextScript.

This many not be a problem.  There's no effect on stacked Scripts, for
example, because they are organized by ScriptColumn.

I couldn't really say more without doing some testing of my own.

-David