Re: use of set Timing.measurePosition is disrupting automatic beaming

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: use of set Timing.measurePosition is disrupting automatic beaming
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2016 15:32:01 -0500

On Mon 12 Sep 2016 at 20:10:23 (+0200), Roderick Mackenzie wrote:
> I am learning how to write bagpipe tunes with Lilypond. Bagpipe tunes
> are usually in parts with a partial measure at the start and end of
> each part. In order to avoid the warnings about use of "\partial"
> within the body of the score I am trying to use "\set
> Timing.measurePosition = #(ly:make-moment -3/8)". My problem is that
> this command seems to disrupt the automatic beaming: the half measure
> before the command is always printed as individual notes. In the
> attached fragment the first one and a half measures are correctly
> beamed but then the last half bar has no beaming. What am I doing
> wrong?

Forgive me if I'm making unjustified assumptions here as I'm only
familiar with Scottish Country Dance music and not bagpipe tunes
in general.

Normally you "pay back" the partial measure only at the end of a
piece. Where the first section is repeated, the last measure of the
section will be short, but that gets paid back immediately by the
start of the next section, which will have a matching up-beat.

So your example might look more like the attached. (I borrowed the
earlier measures to fill it out.) Excuse my changing the \bar ""
strings for 2.19.44.

I've also attached a dance tune, mangled for copyright, as a real
example. The chunks overlap.

Cheers,
David.