Augmentation dot positioning

From: Chris Yate
Subject: Augmentation dot positioning
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2016 23:02:25 +0000

Hi all,

I have only rarely typeset piano music in the past, which is probably why I haven't come across this issue before.

The issue occurs when writing closely spaced chords with an augmentation dot in the rhythm. Dots are placed only on spaces (which we should expect), but in certain very easy to reproduce conditions, the dot appears in an unexpected place.

\version "2.19.45"
\relative c' {
  < g c d e f>2. }

The attached image shows dots unexpectedly positioned on the A space and B space below the staff. I'm not sure what the "correct" notation should be in this situation, but writing by hand I would place dots on the spaces for G, D and F.

Interestingly, I found a 4 year old Musescore bug report for this issue which mentions Lilypond 2.15 having problems.

https://musescore.org/en/node/15434

We can readily reproduce a pathological case (image also attached).

\version "2.19.45"
\relative c' {
<<  < g c d e f>2. \\ < bes dis e fis >4. >>
}

The question for the list being, what workarounds are there for strangely placed augmentation dots?  Perhaps suppressing the dots for certain notes?

Thanks in advance,

Chris