Re: Combining voices in American Hymns

From: J Martin Rushton
Subject: Re: Combining voices in American Hymns
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2016 23:37:08 +0100

On 13/09/16 22:32, David Wright wrote:
> On Tue 13 Sep 2016 at 21:56:04 (+0100), J Martin Rushton wrote:

>>> You're not alone with difficulties on American-style part combining.
>>> Another LilyPond user shared some of her work with me, and I'm still
>>> studying the approach she uses. Below is a small example I'm using for
>>> experiments. I'm not very familiar with the inner workings of LilyPond;
>>> maybe someone will take one look and say, "That will mostly work, but
>>> you will run into problems with such-and-such situations."
>>> --
>>> Karlin High
>>> Missouri, USA
>> <snip>
>>
>> How is this "American-style"?  It sounds just the same as hymnbooks on
>> this side of the pond have done since (at least) the 19thC.  I tried to
>> enclose a scan of "Hymns Ancient & Modern" (the standard Anglican
>> hymnbook) of 1868 but it was rejected as too large [sorry moderator].
>> Briefly: SA in the treble clef, TB in the bass, note heads combined
>> where appropriate with the stems indicating which voice they apply to.
>> Is this not what you were describing?
>
> Three examples attached. The words in the English style will be
> printed below. (This post is an oversimplification.)
>
> Cheers,
> David.

OK, thanks.  Atlantic & English are common in hymnbooks here - the old
(1923?) Methodist hymnbook used both styles.  I can now see the American
is different.  Slightly OT: how does the American system differentiate
when the voices cross?  For example between E for Alto + G for Soprano
compared to E for S + G for A.

Regards,
Martin