Re: Augmentation dot positioning

From: Chris Yate
Subject: Re: Augmentation dot positioning
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2016 07:25:09 +0100

On 14 Sep 2016 04:26, "Brian Barker" <address@hidden> wrote:

> At 23:50 13/09/2016 +0000, Chris Yate wrote:
>>
>> Could someone that owns a copy of Gould chip in with a "best practice" recommendation?
>

> I've not been following this thread in detail, so I'm not sure if this is what you need. This from pages 55 and 56. (I'm aware the last sentence contradicts the first.)
>
> Every notehead in a chord must take a duration dot. Vertically align the dots after the chord.
> *Adjacent-note chords*
> When the upper note is on a line, the dot moves up to the next stave-space, as usual. When the lower note is on a line, the dot drops to the lower space.
> Each dot should have a stave-space to itself. This same spacing applies to chords on ledger lines as well, where dots should not be bunched up just because there are no stave lines to separate them into individual spaces.
> A dot may need to move a stave-space away from its notehead.
> Centre the dots on the chord, rather than placing them in one direction, away from the chord.
> When a dot is forced to be two or more stave-spaces from the chord, its function becomes less relevant. In such cases, use only as many dots as cover the number of stave-spaces taken up by the chord.
>
> Her example of the last dictum has a chord of eight notes (spanning a ninth) having a column of only five dots.
>
> Brian Barker

Perfect. Thanks. Although she said a dot may need to be moved a stave-space away from its note, it typically looks wrong to me, and using only the spaces occupied by the chord is right. However, that's why we have \override directives...

One situation that apparently causes a "floating" dot is { d f fis }, assuming f and fis share a space. Since they are in the same staff position it seems appropriate for them to share a dot.

The case of dotted chords coinciding in multiple voices probably has to be treated separately. I think in that case the chords should move horizontally to allow their dots to live next to the appropriate note heads - but it is a different bug/feature.

Chris