Re: Augmentation dot positioning

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Augmentation dot positioning
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2016 13:32:12 +0000

On 9/13/16 11:53 AM, "Chris Yate" <address@hidden> wrote:

>Thanks Werner. That's potentially a useful workaround. But the default
>behaviour is obviously broken. There's no way I should see a dot placed
>on the space above or below a note on a space -- obviously notes on a
>line are a different matter.  As far as I can tell the default should be
>never to place the dot more than one staff position away from the top or
>bottom note of a chord.

Gould's rule disagree with your assertion.  Gould specifically shows good
examples with dots both above and below a note on a space. She also shows
an error where a dot one staff space above the chord is removed (I'll try
to get scans today).

The only trimming Gould does (which LilyPond may not do, I guess) is that
if the full set of dots would result in a dot that is two or more staff
spaces away from the upper or lower note of the chord, the dots are
trimmed to cover the staff spaces taken up by the chord.

Thanks,

Carl