Re: Augmentation dot positioning

From: Chris Yate
Subject: Re: Augmentation dot positioning
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2016 14:36:22 +0100

On 15 Sep 2016 14:27, "Carl Sorensen" <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 9/14/16 9:05 AM, "Chris Yate" <address@hidden> wrote:
> >

> >Attached with some extra cases I'd forgotten about (the inverted versions
> >of the final 6.
>
> According to Gould, I believe that dots limit 3 is the correct setting.
>
> Case 1: Gould says that the dot in the A space is correct.  The only dots
> she removes are dots that are 2 staff spaces or more away from the chord
> (p. 56); the A space is only one staff space away.
>
> Case 2: Similarly, the B space dot is correct according to Gould.
>
> Case 9: Just as in case 2, the B space dot is correct.
>
> Case 10: The C space dot is correct according to Gould -- one staff space
> above chord.
>
> Case 12: See cases 2 and 9; B space dot is one staff space below chord
>
> Case 13: I am unsure about the G dot -- it's one and a half staff spaces
> below the chord, so by Gould's strict rule, it should be there, I guess.
> But I prefer it gone.
>
> Case 14: I'm not sure why you consider the A space dot unnecessary.
> According to Gould's rules, it should be there.
>
> Case 15: Same as case 14.
>
> Case 16: As in cases 2 and 9, Gould suggests the B space dot belongs.
>
> Case 17: Same as 16
>
> Case 18: Same as 16
>
> Case 19: Same as 16
>
> Case 20: Gould's rules say A space dot is correct.
>
> Case 21: Same as 20
>
> Case 23: Same as 16
>
> Case 24: Gould's rules say G space dot is correct.
>
> Case 25: Gould's rules say B space dot is correct.
>
> In short, dots limit 3 never fails according to Chris's rules, and appears
> to me to be exactly correct with respect to Gould's rules.  So I have a
> hard time seeing what the issue is.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Carl

Carl, the key is the last bit of Gould's text as quoted by Brian above:

"When a dot is forced to be two or more stave-spaces from the chord, its function becomes less relevant. In such cases, use only as many dots as cover the number of stave-spaces taken up by the chord."

In my 30-odd years experience of reading music I don't think I've ever seen augmentation dots extending even a full space away from a chord (apart from moving a half-step above or below a line-note).