Re: (Automatically) split partcombined voices to temporary staff

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: (Automatically) split partcombined voices to temporary staff
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2016 12:13:06 +0200

Am 16.09.2016 um 21:51 schrieb David Kastrup:
> Urs Liska <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I have a question regarding complicated orchestral material. Note that I
>> don't need a solution right now, only a plausible estimate if that's
>> possible to implement at all.
>>
>> Consider the situation of a staff with two partcombined voices (say,
>> flutes). If there are spots (measures or ranges of measures) where the
>> voices are so individualized or complex that the part combination
>> becomes unreadable I would like to split this range (measure) to two
>> individual staves.
> [...]
>
>> Any suggestions welcome.
> That's what the remove-layer feature is for.  Maybe take a look at
> input/regression/divisi-staves.ly for an example.
>
> Note that the various layers don't need to contain the same material, so
> you are free to use \partcombine for the combined layer while not
> combining layers when split.

Thanks David. This is exactly what I was looking for. It will be trivial
to wrap this into a nice set-up where you can simply pass a list of
measures (per part or combined staff) that are not to be combined. This
works independently from manual or automatic breaking, and it is
possible to change one's mind about the decisions without having to
modify the content files!

Best
Urs