Re: trying to reproduce unusual time signature

From: Kim Shrier
Subject: Re: trying to reproduce unusual time signature
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2016 10:24:22 -0600

> On Sep 17, 2016, at 5:42 AM, Simon Albrecht <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> On 17.09.2016 08:08, Kim Shrier wrote:
>> I am re-typsetting a piece from a modern (1950’s) edition
>> of some 14’th century music, in order to make it easier to
>> read and play from.  It has a time signature that looks like:
>>
>>      3
>> 2 x -
>>      4
>
> If I may give some counsel here: Make it easy and just use 6/4. There’s no
> additional information we gain from the extraordinary 2x3/4, and IIUC using
> meters of 6 is very common in transcriptions of such early music.

I think that preserving the time signatures as they are would be
better.  the 2 x 3/4  was just one example.  The piece starts off
in 2 x 2/4 goes to 2 x 6/8  then 3 x 6/8 then back to 2 x 2/4 and
ends in 2 x 3/4.  The second part starts in 2 x 6/8, goes to 3 x 6/8,
2 x 3/4, 3 x 3/4, 2 x 3/4, and ends in 2 x 6/8.  The first number
tells you how many major pulses are in a measure and the fraction
tells you how to subdivide the pulse.  I do appreciate your advice.

> Best, Simon
Kim