Re: BendSpanner-engraver

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: BendSpanner-engraver
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2016 12:33:21 +0200

> On Sun, Sep 11, 2016 at 4:53 AM, Thomas Morley <address@hidden> wrote:
>

>> Though, currently it's pretty slow in compilation. The reason for this
>> slugginess
>> is the feature not to bend open strings and to ex- or include notes to bend,
>> more precisley it's the definiton for `bend::remove-certain-tab-note-heads'.
>>
>> Not sure how to improve this, any hint is highly appreciated.
>
> Appears to be markup->string that slows it down so dramatically.
> Would it be feasible to create a stripped-down version of this
> function?  (Nevertheless...IMO, you shouldn't sacrifice functionality
> for speed.)
>
> -David

Hi David,

I can confirm markup->string is the main cause for the slow down. My
other suspicion was `bend::remove-certain-tab-note-heads' being called
excessively, which is likely true as well.
Using markup->string to detect open strings is bad anyway.

The needed info is processed in `determine-frets' from
translation-functions.scm. The context-property noteToFretFunction is
set to this function.
So I likely should try to move the calculation currently done in
`bend::remove-certain-tab-note-heads' into the engraver.

Thanks a lot,
  Harm