Re: What to do wanting a 4th order Bézier?

From: tisimst
Subject: Re: What to do wanting a 4th order Bézier?
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2016 10:48:02 -0700 (MST)

On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 11:36 AM, Urs Liska [via Lilypond] <[hidden email]> wrote:

I'm not clear if we are all talking about the same things. Maybe write it down explicitly:

inflection =
#'((point . (.4 . 12)))

would now mean: "40 % through the horizontal space between the end points and 12 staff spaces above the vertical center between the points. This is completely easy to write down but surely confusing to learn, even if documented properly.

By contrast

inflection =
#'((point-X-ratio . 0.4)
   (point-Y . 12))

seems clearer but more verbose to write out.

I'm a fan of the verbosity, especially with such complex objects as this where you may (easily!) have 10+ different numbers adjusting the overall shape. It also self-documents what the values represent.

--
Abraham Lee

P.S. This is absolutely awesome, Urs! Well done. A next thing would be to show how this can be used to make flat slurs ;-) By the way, how do the curves appear when the thickness is more pronounced (i.e., thicker). Does it still come back down to a point at the end of each segment? My guess is it does (simply because I haven't tested it myself). That would be nice to be able to be able to specify whether it should taper back down or not. Feature request!