\partcombine error when Solo starts with a rest

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: \partcombine error when Solo starts with a rest
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2016 11:15:43 -0400

Hello all,

I’m running into a bunch of frustrating \partcombine issues…
(Naturally, I always seem to hit these bugs and “features" right when I’m in a
crunch to get some big commission engraved!)

One thorn is demonstrated by the following MWE:

%%%  SNIPPET BEGINS
\version "2.19.46"
musicA = {
    r4 e''2 c''4
}
musicB = {
    g'2 e'
}
\new Staff \partcombine \musicA \musicB
%%%  SNIPPET ENDS

This bug/feature was, apparently, posted to the list a few years ago (cf.
<http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2014-10/msg00538.html>). Has a
workaround been found? Do any of the new (i.e., since that 2014-10 thread)
\partcombine features help?

Thanks,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer