Re: \new and \context clarification

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: \new and \context clarification
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2016 23:51:07 +0200

On 23.09.2016 17:43, Menu Jacques wrote:
Hello folks,

musicxml2ly as delivered with LP 2.19.35 produces score specifications such as:

% The score definition
\score {
     <<
         \new Staff <<
             \context Staff <<
                 \context Voice = "PartPOneVoiceOne" { \PartPOneVoiceOne }
                 \new Lyrics \lyricsto "PartPOneVoiceOne"
\PartPOneVoiceOneLyricsOne

     \layout {}
     % To create MIDI output, uncomment the following line:
     %  \midi {}
     }

\context Staff inside \new Staff seems to be superfluous, but something
probably escapes me…

I don’t think so; it is superfluous. Unless there is some necessity from the conversion algorithm catering for other cases – can’t say anything about that.

Also, for what I know, best practice now is to use \context only when referring to existing contexts, or those created by default (as in `\context Bottom`) (and in \layout{} or \midi{} blocks of course). So in this example, only \new and no \context.

But surely it’s nothing new that musicxml2ly isn’t in a state where one could expect the most up-to-date or best-practice coding as a result.

Best, Simon