Question: Cross compilation

From: Chris Yate
Subject: Question: Cross compilation
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2016 17:54:23 +0000

Hi all,

Apologies for the potentially "blindingly obvious" question, bu't having read the devel webpages about compiling Lilypond for mingw/Windows, I'm none the wiser.

I can compile for native linux using the gnu make (via the smart-autoconf.sh script). However, I'm trying to track down a crash in Windows, and according to the website/docs it's impossible to compile natively* -- so need a cross-compile.

I note the existance of "GUB", but this appears to use the main repository as source**. But obviously, I need to compile from my working copy after I've put a bunch of tracing code in.

This document http://www.gnu.org/software/lilypond/src/Developers/Packaging/windows.html appears to be out of date. I found "janneke"'s patches at http://lilypond.org/people/janneke/software/cygwin/mknetrel/ but it's not clear from where mknetrel itself should be obtained.

My dev environment is Ubuntu 16 (or 14). Any hints or tips or redirection towards the relevant instructions would be welcome!

Chris

---

* assuming the statement about compiling natively under Windows _does_not_ refer to using mingw gnu make, rather than some other compiler...??

** I'm not sure about that; but in any case it fails at configuring mingw::fontconfig so that may be the first problem to solve. Error below
---
configure: error: Package requirements (freetype2) were not met:

Package zlib was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `zlib.pc'
Package 'zlib', required by 'FreeType 2', not found