Re: Question: Cross compilation

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: Question: Cross compilation
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2016 08:38:12 +0100

On Tue, 2016-09-27 at 04:23 +0200, David Kastrup wrote:
> Chris Yate <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > On Mon, 26 Sep 2016 at 19:34 David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
> >

> >> That's pretty good, actually.  Not being able to do native/online
> >> compilations by anybody wanting to is bad.  Yes.  Fixes to GUB (possibly
> >> even just to its information/documentation, maybe it _can_ do it
> >> already) are of course welcome:
> >

> > David,
> >
> > At a brief look over GUB, the really big question in my mind is why on
> > earth it seems to want to build *everything*.
>
> It wants to be _able_ to build everything, like autoconf.
>
> > A Lilypond build tool for all platforms = a great idea.
> > A Lilypond build tool for all platforms to which someone's added half a
> > dozen extra unrelated targets (possibly very large ones such as OpenOffice)
> > = a terrible idea.
>
> You don't need to touch or maintain or use the OpenOffice rules.
>
> > If I did anything to "fix" it, it would be to strip it right back to a
> > tool that does _one_ job well. And I don't know whether that's likely
> > to be popular thing (although correct me if I'm wrong there)...
>
> I don't see the point.  It won't build OpenOffice unless you ask it to.
>
> > ... because IMHO a build tool that takes 24+ hours to rebuild after
> > making tweaks to it --and that's on a high spec machine-- is not a
> > very useful tool.
>
> You'll find that none of the 24+ hours are spent in relation to
> OpenOffice.  The OpenOffice configuration affects the download size of
> GUB, but that's a one-time cost and rather small.

and, more specifically, I would guess they are spent in creating the
documentation (as this involves running LilyPond on thousands on
examples). I say this because Denemo is built overnight for three
targets with (son of) GUB, and that involves not only building LilyPond
but also Gtk, Fluidsynth, PortAudio, PortMidi and quite a few other
packages. (But not the LilyPond documentation, which, out of idleness
with respect to setting it up, I always access online).

Richard