Re: Horizontal alignment of lyrics hyphens?

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: Horizontal alignment of lyrics hyphens?
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2016 11:43:50 +0200

On 28.09.2016 11:36, David Kastrup wrote:
Simon Albrecht <address@hidden> writes:
On 28.09.2016 11:10, Knut Petersen wrote:
There is one problem with people relying on binaries instead of
building and improving lilypond itself: Almost nobody seems to be able to
bisect a problem. It's e.g. amazing to see how long it takes to
track down
the speed problem on Mac OS systems.
You cannot hope that eventually all LilyPond users are going to become
developers as well. I have delved into LilyPond quite deeper than any
average software user would do, I know some of the (scm) source code,
and I have been able to make a few changes to the program. But I do
not have any ambitions to compile LilyPond on my own.
It's not really a matter of ambition.  At some point of time getting
behind some problem without the ability of recompiling will feel like
repairing clockwork with sledgehammer and mittens and it becomes
annoying to wait for others to do it instead.  Once you are there,
seeing what it takes to recompile yourself might be the less ambitious
option.

Of course it depends on just what platform you usually work with just
how ambitious recompiling LilyPond may end up for you.

Ubuntu, so that should be the least problem, I imagine.
Of course it would make sense in some situations to (be able to) recompile. The main thing is that I just feel I have to draw a line _somewhere_, to prevent spending even more time with LilyPond and/or getting more lost in the depths of available tasks. For once, I don’t know C++ and I don’t intend to learn it, and as a consequence I’ve never encountered the need to recompile. Of course, bisecting a bug would be possible without actually working on the code, but as I said I’m unable to increase my engagement in the project, although I might like to. But there’s other things I’m doing…

Best, Simon