Re: Why warning: cannot end volta spanner?

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: Why warning: cannot end volta spanner?
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2016 20:26:40 +0200

On 09.10.2016 19:08, Peter Toye wrote:
Re: Why warning: cannot end volta spanner? David,

This is what I'd like. But it compiles with the warning message. My original questions was: why and can I get what I want without the warning?

If everything is fine except for the warning, you can use
#(ly:expect-warning "cannot end volta")
It goes on top-level, once for every instance of the warning. If a future compilation issues fewer warnings than expected, there will be a warning about that.

Best, Simon

\version "2.18.2"

\language "english"

\score {
 \new Staff {

   \time 4/4
   \clef treble

   \relative c''
   {
     c1
     \repeat volta 2 {
       c d e f
     }
     \alternative {
       {
         g f e d
       }
       {
         \set Score.voltaSpannerDuration = #(ly:make-moment 4/4)
         \repeat unfold 2 {
           \repeat unfold 12  {g8 a}
           g f e d c d e f
     g1 f e d c

Best regards,

Peter
mailto:address@hidden
www.ptoye.com <http://www.ptoye.com>

*Wright> On Fri 07 Oct 2016 at 18:44:28 (+0100), Peter Toye wrote:
>> Not exactly! I've modded my example and am getting interesting results. In my original music (far too long to show here) without the change to voltaSpannerDuration the 2nd time volta spanner stretches right over the repeat unfold (over several lines) without any error message.

>> My original had two nested repeat unfolds (I didn't put this into my snippet an I didn't think it would be relevant), so I've replicated the correct structure below. With the change to voltaSpannerDuration I get the desired effect but a warning message. Without it there's no error message but the 2nd time volta spanner spans 5 bars - to the end of the line. Which is different from what happens in my original music. I can try to provide a reduced version which displays the issue, but it'll probably take some time to work it out.

Wright> It might help to tell us exactly what you want to see printed,
Wright> and how this differs from what has been posted here.
Wright> Otherwise we're all left guessing.

Wright> Cheers,
Wright> David.