Re: writing custom engravers in scheme - defining context properties?

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: writing custom engravers in scheme - defining context properties?
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2016 20:51:30 +0200

Hi Max,

> Welcome to LilyPond!  More below...

+1 :)

> On 10/10/2016 12:00 PM, Maxwell Phillips wrote:
>>
>> I'm experimenting with writing custom scheme engravers, for example to
>> deal with groups of staffs with complex rules about when each staff should
>> be visible or hidden.
>>
>> I can't figure out how to define the properties that engravers pass on to
>> the contexts they "consist" (sorry if not using the right terminology).

If you really want to define a new context property you may follow
Paul or one of the link at the end.
But maybe it's enough to make the engraver take an argument?
For an example, see:
http://lsr.di.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=838

>> For example, I want to define an engraver with property my-prop such that
>> \new Staff \with { \consists My_engraver }
>> allows me to \set Staff.my-prop to change the behavior of My_engraver.
>

> Looks like you got a long way before asking on the list, kudos! What you're
> trying to do is not documented or in the LSR as far as I know.

Well, there are several examples in LSR, defining
grob-/music-/context-properties.
http://lsr.di.unimi.it/LSR/Search?q=set+object+property
The first seven hits.

Cheers,